Instructions for Patients Undergoing Sedation Anesthesia:
- Do NOT eat or drink anything (including water) for six (6) hours prior to the appointment. If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Salib prior to your surgical date for instructions as some medications may need to be continued.
- You must be accompanied for your appointment by a responsible adult. If the patient is a minor, he or she must be accompanied by either a parent or guardian to the office and drive the patient home.
- Do NOT drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following your general anesthesia (sleep sedation).
- If your health has changed since your consultation, please inform us immediately. This would include any new fever or cough, or if you now have reason to believe that you are pregnant. If you feel that you have a cold, flu or significant nasal congestion, please call us in advance, if possible.
- Please wear loose fitting short-sleeved shirt that will allow a blood pressure cuff to be placed comfortably and flat shoes. Please avoid wearing white clothing.
- Please remove contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures prior to surgery. Please also remove any metal piercings from the lips or mouth prior to your appointment.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you smoke, please refrain from smoking 48 hours before your appointment and 48 hours after surgery. Smoking delays the healing process and leads to complications including dry sockets.
- If prescribed Halcion, please make sure that you take your medication one hour prior to your appointed time, with a small sip of water and that a responsible adult accompanies you.