Post Op Instructions After Sinus Lift Surgery
As discussed with Dr. Salib and indicated on the consent form, there are occasions where there may be a communication between the oral cavity & maxillary sinus. If you are either at high risk or if this has occurred, we ask you to follow the post op instructions after sinus lift surgery below, to allow for optimal healing and avoid a permanent opening which may require additional surgery to close.
- Take all medications as prescribed. If antibiotics are prescribed to you, be sure to take the medication as directed until it is ALL gone.
- If you have any unusual reactions to the medications, please call our office.
- Avoid nose blowing for 14 days if sinus surgery was performed and use a nasal decongestant if prescribed. Minor traces of blood may be found from your nose for several days. If heavy nose bleeds develop or bleeding persists, please call our office immediately.
- Avoid any activity that will increase sinus pressure such as sneezing, strenuous exercise, lifting or bending over. If you must sneeze, sneeze with your mouth open. This will avoid pressure within the sinus.
- If sutures were placed, they will dissolve and fall out on their own within 5-10 days after surgery. Please avoid unnecessary contact with sutures until they dissolve.
- Brush your teeth very gently, taking care to avoid the surgical areas until you are healed. You may gently rinse with a non-alcohol containing mouth rinse or warm salt water.
- Avoid smoking for at least 21 days but as long as possible after surgery. Smoking will impact the healing process.
- NO heavy rinsing, NO spitting, for 21 days.
- Do NOT apply pressure with your fingers or tongue to the grafted area.
- Do NOT pull your lip back to look at the sutures as this can cause damage.
- Avoid hard, sharp foods for 14 days.
- If you are taking birth control & were prescribed antibiotics, please inform Dr. Salib or our staff as it may interfere with its effectiveness.
- If unusual problems develop, please contact our office immediately during business hours or Dr. Salib via phone number as provided.